On December 8th, 2020, the church council made the following decisions:
1) The sanctuary will be closed for in-person worship until at least the third Sunday in January 2021. The worship service will be taped ahead of time and posted to the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/StJohnUCCCincinnati/), YouTube, the website, and ICRC. If you click the Facebook "f" at the top right corner of the website it will take you to the worship services and Rev. Torie's daily 11:45am posts.
2) The building is closed for meetings, all meetings will be held via Zoom/Phone/Email until at least the third week in January 2021. Please email Rev. Torie (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to be included in the 1pm Lectionary Bible Study and/or the 6:30pm " Through the Bible in a Year" Bible Study.
3) The Food Distribution program is being cancelled for Thursday, December 10th. Normal distribution will resume next week, December 17th.
4) Over the course of December, two brief, outdoor worship services will be offered in the courtyard. Each service will last no longer than 20 minutes. There will be a limited number of chairs provided, so if able, please consider standing for the service.
- Blue Christmas: Thursday, December 17th, at 6:15pm
- Christmas Eve: Thursday, December 24th, at 10:00pm
5) Christmas Caroling is currently still scheduled for Sunday, December 13th (this weekend!). If you are able and willing to sing, please let us know ASAP! We have many homebound members lined up who are looking forward to this tradition.
As a side note, your continued financial support is much appreciated, and your weekly offerings can be mailed into the church office.
Please let us know if you have any questions. Stay safe and stay healthy!
In one of his final interactions with his disciples, Jesus says that this as recording in John 16:
32 The hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each one to his home, and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me.
33 I have said this to you, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!
It may seem like this virus is a form of persecution. We are now joining the ranks of Christians around the world who are unable to attend a church. We may feel alone. Yet on this second week of Advent, the week of peace, may we each find that we are not alone, that we have Christ within us, and with this realization feel that blessed peace that passes understanding. Take courage, beloved, because Jesus has conquered whatever the world is throwing at us!
The church ordered poinsettias for the Christmas church services, if you are interested in purchasing one or multiple after their brief stint in the sanctuary, please contact the church office.
26 red - 3 white - 11 marbled
The dates for our Epiphany Bonfire at the Front's were not included in the newsletter
Epiphany Sunday falls on January 3, 2021.
ST. JOHN UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
As disciples of Jesus Christ, we are called by God and empowered by the Holy Spirit to worship, to serve our community in Christian love, and to nurture our members along their spiritual journey.
We encourage everyone to participate as much as possible, as it will certainly benefit the church. Tell all your friends and family because they can also help the church by using AmazonSmile.
AmazonSmile is now active and ready for St. John UCC. Now, when you order from AmazonSmile, 0.5% of your total will be donated to St. John UCC.
Here's how it works:
You must visit AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com) to register and select St John UCC as your charitable organization. Be sure you select the correct St John UCC as there are several that are listed. Then, whenever you wish to purchase anything, instead of logging into Amazon.com you will log into smile.amazon.com for all your purchases. All items and costs are exactly the same as on Amazon.com, however, the church will receive a 0.5% donation on eligible purchases. Eligible purchases are noted in the item description.
JOIN US FOR WORSHIP SUNDAY MORNING AT 10AM
WEEKLY CHURCH ACTIVITIES
Join us on Tuesdays at 1pm and 6:30pm for an interactive, lectionary based Bible study!
Join us on Thursday evenings from 5pm-6pm for a free, hot meal, fellowship and prayer!
PRAISING GOD THROUGH MUSIC
Chancel Choir practices Wednesday night at 6:15pm and sings every Sunday September through May!
Handbell/Chime Choir practices Sunday mornings at 9am and plays throughout the year!
CONTACT ST JOHN UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
729 Jefferson Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45215, USA